UK - Sexually Exploited and Trafficked Young People
We are working to reduce the harm caused to young people by sexual exploitation and/or trafficking.
Why do we fund this programme?
- The UK is a major destination country for trafficked young people. They are at a very high risk of being sexually exploited.
- Young people who are trafficked or sexually exploited live very dangerous lives, are often hidden so very hard to reach, and can get trapped in an endless cycle of poverty.
What are we doing and how?
- We fund support services for sexually exploited young people, and make sure we address any gaps that we know exist, such as in services for young men.
- We are supporting the development of a Child Trafficking Helpline so that people who work with young people can get advice if they suspect a child has been trafficked.
- We fund work to prevent trafficking, by highlighting the dangers to young people who may be targeted by traffickers in their home countries.
- We fund work to train the people who are likely to come across sexually exploited young people in their jobs, such as teachers or the police, so they can offer the best possible support to these young people.