Frequently asked questions

What are you looking for?


Getting involved

Working & volunteering for Comic Relief

Making a donation

Gift Aid



What does Comic Relief do?

Comic Relief is a major charity based in the UK which strives to create a just world, free from poverty. We’ll do just about anything to see that vision become a reality and our mission is to drive positive change through the power of entertainment.

Since we first set up shop in 1985, we’ve been doing three main things...

  • We raise millions of pounds through two big fundraising campaigns – Red Nose Day and Sport Relief.
  • We spend that money in the best possible way to tackle the root causes of poverty and social injustice.
  • We use the power of our brand to raise awareness of the issues that we care most about.

Over the years we’ve inspired a lot of people who don’t normally ‘do’ charity to, well, do charity. The support we’ve had from so many friends has always blown us away – and still does today.

So there you go, that’s us in a nutshell. But if you’d like to find out even more about what we do and why we do it, take a look at our 'your impact' and 'about Comic Relief' sections.


Where does the money raised by Comic Relief go?

All the money raised by the public is spent by Comic Relief to help poor and disadvantaged people in the UK and the world’s poorest communities.

You can find out about this work in our 'your impact' section.


Getting involved

I represent a school/early years/youth group – how can we get involved?

We’d love for you to get involved, and there are many ways to do so. Firstly, you could fundraise as part of Red Nose Day or Sport Relief. To help your school or group do this, and to help children and young people learn about what they’re fundraising for, we’ll provide you with lots of tailor-made schools and early years resources.

Comic Relief also works throughout the year to tackle the root causes of injustice and poverty. We can provide you with information and resources to help children and young people learn about important global issues - giving them the opportunity to make a difference and voice their opinions.


I work for an organisation that would like to work with Comic Relief

We work with a really wide range of organisations – big and small. To see how you might get involved with us, visit our 'partners' section. Or if you’re after the personal touch, drop our Corporate Team an email at They’ll be happy to discuss potential partnership opportunities with you.


Working & volunteering for Comic Relief

How do I get a job at Comic Relief?

All of our current vacancies are advertised on so keep an eye on this and follow the instructions of how to apply if you're interested in any of the roles.

You can be kept up-to-date on new vacancies by signing up for email job alerts on


I work for a call centre and would like to offer our services on the night of Red Nose Day or Sport Relief. How do I do this?

Call centres are absolutely vital in getting public donations to us. So if your company has a UK-based call centre which your own volunteers can staff and are interested in getting involved please read more here.


making a donation

How can I make a donation or pay in fundraising money?

There are lots of different ways to make a donation to Comic Relief. Just pick the way that’s easiest for you:

  • Online– using a credit card, debit card, or PayPal.
  • On the phone – call 03457 910 910 and use your debit or credit card. Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles will apply. Calls from mobiles may cost more.
  • At any bank – use the giro slip at the bottom of your Red Nose Day or Sport Relief sponsorship form, found in your fundraising kit. Comic Relief giro slips are also available behind the counter at most bank branches whilst Red Nose Day and Sport Relief take place.
  • At a building society – whilst Red Nose Day and Sport Relief are taking place, you can pay in your donation at most building societies. Just ask to pay into the Red Nose Day or Sport Relief account.
  • By post – simply send in a cheque or postal order (made payable to either Red Nose Day or Sport Relief) and a giro slip if you have one to EY, PO Box 51543, London SE1 2UG.


Can I set up a standing order for Comic Relief?

Yes you can. You can make regular donations to Comic Relief by requesting a regular giving form from Alternatively, you can request a form by writing to us at Comic Relief, Marketing Team, 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP. Please remember to let us know your address.


Can I leave a gift to Comic Relief in my will?

You can indeed. When making your will, please make sure to include our full name and details. That way you can be certain we’ll be properly identifiable as the recipient of your gift. It would be best to use this sentence:

"Charity Projects (known as Comic Relief), a charity registered in England and Wales with number 326568 and in Scotland with number SC039730 whose registered office is at Comic Relief, 1st Floor, 89 Albert Embankment London SE1 7TP"

Please do let us know if you decide to leave Comic Relief a legacy so we can say thank you. We'd also be interested to hear about the reasons you thought of us. Please email us at


gift aid

What is Gift Aid and how can it mean more money for Comic Relief?

If you pay UK tax and you would like us to claim Gift Aid, we can claim an additional 25% of the value of your donation from the Government, which we use to help us cover our running costs. It won't cost you a penny and it means that every pound that you donate can go towards helping people living tough lives across the UK and in the world's poorest communities.

If you make a personal donation to Comic Relief, you will be asked to declare whether you would like us to claim Gift Aid. This will be either by:

  • Ticking the Gift Aid box on the donation page online
  • Saying ‘yes' to the Gift Aid question whilst donating via the phone
  • Asking your sponsors to tick the Gift Aid box on your sponsorship form
  • Ticking the appropriate box on the Red Nose Day or Sport Relief giro slip (when paying in your money at a Bank or if you send it with your cheque to Ernst & Young).

If you're making a personal donation please give your full name and home address and tick the box or we can't claim Gift Aid. To say 'Yes' to Gift Aid, you must be a UK taxpayer and understand that if you pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains tax in the current tax year than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all of your donations it is your responsibility to pay any difference.  If you consent to Gift Aid we will add Gift Aid to the past 4 years of your donations and any donations you make in the future, until you tell us otherwise.

Please note, Gift Aid cannot apply to CAF cards (as the tax has already been reclaimed).


What if I am a higher rate taxpayer?

The charity reclaims the tax on your donation only at the basic rate, even if you are a higher rate taxpayer. If you are a higher rate taxpayer, you can claim the difference between the higher rate of tax and the current basic rate of tax of 20% on your Self Assessment return.


Can I withdraw a declaration?

If, for any reason, you decide that your donation should not be Gift Aided, you have 30 days from the date of your declaration to tell us to withdraw it.


Where can I get further information on Gift Aid?

For further information about Gift Aid, please see the HM Revenue & Customs website or the Institute of Fundraising website. Alternatively, contact your local Tax Office.